Friday, December 5, 2014

Karl Lagerfield Reincarnates Cara as the Empress of Austria

MÉTIERS D’ART, chanel pre-fall, Cara Delevingne, Pharrell Williems, Sisi Star, Hapburg jewels, Karl Lagerfield, Chanel, Empress of Austria, Elizabeth of Austria
Photo courtesy of Allure Russia

So I finally watched the Chanel film, "Reincarnation," featuring Cara Delevingne and Pharrell Williams. I mean, they sing! Who wouldn't want to watch?

I loved the video – very cute – but guess what I loved more. Cara's dress and hair was obviously inspired by Sissi, the Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary (I'm half Hungarian and biased and I think it's cool, okay?). The story is supposed to be about the history of the iconic Chanel jacket - from it's inspiration as a humble lift-boy's jacket, to it's reincarnation as the icon it's known as today. But hey, it also makes sense that Cara is a reincarnated queen.

Seeing this brought back a lot of memories of my trip to Vienna a few years ago. In other words, I've seen the original dress and hair ornaments (okay,  the original was stolen so technically I only saw a well made duplicate), and I was giddy to recognize that Karl Lagerfield took inspiration from them.

MÉTIERS D’ART, chanel pre-fall, Cara Delevingne, Pharrell Williems, Sisi Star, Hapburg jewels, Karl Lagerfield, Chanel, Empress of Austria, Elizabeth of Austria
Is Cara the reincarnation of the Empress of Austria?

I loved that rather than taking the original jewels and dress exactly, Lagerfield created a modern and unique take on the Empress's famous outfit. I loved that Cara's stars were flowers while her dress stayed relatively true to history. She also had a pair of earrings that I feel were inspired by the original Hapsburg jewels.

MÉTIERS D’ART, chanel pre-fall, Cara Delevingne, Pharrell Williems, Sisi Star, Hapburg jewels, Karl Lagerfield, Chanel, Empress of Austria, Elizabeth of Austria
The star on the right is the original Hapsburg jewel know as the Koechert Diamond Pearl, or the Sissi Star.

You can take a look at the video here! Geraldine Chaplin is adorable as Chanel. Seriously, watch it to the end, she's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images

Real Time Analytics