Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Five Ways to Transition to Fall


Fall to Summer, Trench Coat, Layering

Hey everyone!
 As someone who tends to wear only skirts and dresses, it can be a bit difficult to make the transition from summer to fall, let alone winter. However, over the years, I've gotten it down to an art (for me at least), and without totally overhauling my wardrobe. That, and I've probably just grown immune to the Calgary cold - I''m crazy enough to be in bare legs until the end of October at least. When there is snow on the ground and it doesn't melt by afternoon, I'll officially relent to the gods of cold weather.


Tights
I have been wearing tights more often, despite the warm afternoons, for two reasons - one, one of my classes is freezing (as in it's warmer outside), and two, my work requires me to wear tights, and it's just easier to wear them to school rather than try and change in a bathroom stall. Tights will keep your legs protected from the cold while allowing you to wear skirts, or even shorts if you want!
Fall to Summer
Seen here and here.

Thigh High Socks and Boots
A great alternative to tights is thigh high socks and a pair of boots or pumps. They'll keep you warm and that strip of pasty skin is like a giant screw you winter.
Seen here

Add Some Layers
Adding a cardigan or a blazer is a simple way to keep you warmer as the chill begins to set in. I love a knit cardigan, they're a surefire way to keep you toasty, but on warmer days, a light blazer does the trick without overheating you. As you can see, it even kept me warm despite bare legs and a stomach here. Even a simple scarf can keep you warm, whether you wrap it around your neck or use it like a shawl.
Seen here and here and here

A Jacket
My favourite fall jacket is my trench coat from Guess. I love the fact that it's not a traditional trench - it's double-breasted while the bottom is pleated in the back so as to flair out a bit. Basically, it's just the girly version. Trench coats are also great for any random weather changes. A coated one will protect you from any rain or snow. You can see that I wore it in the rain during the summer, and paired it with a cardigan in the last photo.
Seen here and here and here

Boots
Lastly, switching from sandals to boots is a must, or at least some sort of closed-toe shoe. I feel the cold mostly in my feet and my upper body so sandals are a no-no as the snow begins to fall. As you can see from my photos, I am still wearing sandals, but it's been pretty warm lately. Once there's snow on the ground, I'm out. Besides, sandals and peep-toes  mean your feet get wet from the frost in the morning, as well as any light dusting of snow that may be there.
Summer to Fall, Sam Edelman Lucca Boots
Seen here

How do you guys make the switch while keeping your summer wardrobe in place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images

Real Time Analytics