Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Must Haves

Summer in Calgary is temperamental. One moment it's sunny and 30 degrees (Celsius) out, and the next it's thunder-storming. Hell, we've even had snowstorms in July. At the moment, my summer wardrobe actually includes more jeans than what I would normally wear in the winter. Why? I don't know, but I figure I must subconsciously think I'm in Australia. Short skirts and dresses in the winter, maxi skirts and jeans in the summer. Weird, I know (and yes, the majority of my friends think I'm crazy, or, if you're my family, stupid). Perhaps I'll write a post on how to change your summer wardrobe into a winter one.
Regardless of my awkward dressing habits, I have a few summer staples to get me through the menopausal weather, along with any travelling I might be doing in warmer, more humid parts of the globe.


Sunscreen
Number one on my list is sunscreen. Make sure whatever you're using is at least SPF 30 with broad spectrum protection. A higher SPF won't actually make much more of a difference compared to SPF 30, but any lower and you're risking a burn, premature-aging, and possibly cancer. If you're willing to spend a few more dollars, try to grab an Asian sunscreen, as they'll also tell you the UVA protection. PA+++ is the highest. SPF protects against UVB rays, which causes the actual sunburn, while UVA rays cause wrinkles, brown spots, and skin cancer. And don't forget to reapply it every few hours!
I've run out of the sunscreen I bought in Korea, but here's what I'm using at the moment.




Nautical Dresses
Who doesn't love a nautical dress to remind you of the beach (especially as I'm nowhere near any). Nautical inspired dresses come in a ton of different styles, so you're bound to find something you like. Even a simple white and navy patter reminds me of a traditional sailor's uniform. Extra points for any stripes. Or you could just add a few nautical inspired accessories. A starfish cuff perhaps, or an anchor ring. While still summer-themed, these dresses can be worn with a pair of tights and a scarf or sweater over top to winterize them.

COPE  Linen Contrast Strapless Dress - Similar here





Skirts
Ah, how I love skirts, preferably mini, or in a light, airy material like chiffon. Crocheted patterns are always popular in the summer, and add a bohemian feel. Floral prints will add a bright splash of colour to an otherwise plain outfit or drab, rainy weather. No matter what, a skirt is pretty easy to style and a simple way to look polished, or to go from a day-to-night look.



Nasty Gal Lost Spring Maxi Skirt


Sunglasses
Again, sunglasses are important for sun protection. They'll help to protect the sensitive skin around your eyes from the sun, especially if you haven't reapplied any sunscreen for awhile. (Hats also add an extra layer of sun protection.) I'm in love with cat eye sunglasses this summer, and these Cheap Monday ones are especially cool with their gradient lenses. I do love details!

So, what are some of your summer essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flickr Images

Real Time Analytics